[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Sep 15 13:53:38 CEST 2009

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Orestis Markou wrote:
>
>>> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>> Just to avoid any misunderstandings: I don't have anything
>>> against argparse or adding it to the stdlib.
>>>
>>> I'm only concerned about the effects of deprecating modules
>>> that are in wide-spread use, in this case getopt and optparse,
>>> without providing a drop-in API compatible replacement.
>>>
>> A deprecated -> removed module can always exist in PyPI and manually
>> installed (or perhaps they can live in their own special place
>> stdlib-legacy). When a new version of Python comes out, people *do* have
>> to spend some time testing their apps, so if something has moved from
>> stdlib to stdlib-legacy, they can just install that in their site
>> packages and go on pretending nothing happened.
>>

> True, but the modules in question mainly target small scripts,
> not big applications. And those typically use the default Python
> version found on the system via "#!/usr/bin/env python".
>
> However, perhaps we can reach some middle-ground: we split out
> LTS legacy modules into a stdlib-legacy or stdlib-compat
> collection, keep applying patches to them as needed and
> only apply the deprecation mechanism to the documentation
> of these modules (the deprecation warnings tend to upset
> consumers of the script's output and thus cause breakage on
> their own).

Applying patches presumes we have tests (or bug reports). Maintaining
dead code still has a cost. Of course whilst a module is in the standard
library we should be committed to this (probably more than we are but
then we're a volunteer based project) - but this is one of the reasons
that we *won't* guarantee to keep any arbitrary module in the standard
library forever without a maintainer. It is still an orthogonal point to
any individual question of module removal however.

> That way, new code will likely start to be written against
> the new modules, while old tested and working code can continue
> to run with the old tested and working modules.

This is an interesting idea, but hard to implement in a meaningful way.
(i.e. if existing scripts using legacy modules are to continue working
with new versions of Python then the legacy modules will have to be
installed and on the path by default - and de-facto the situation is
unchanged.)

I do agree that deprecating the documentation long before removing any
modules is desirable - and probably achieves the same result as actually
partitioning modules. I wouldn't be against a legacy package though as a
'physical' partitioning has some benefits on the path to 'complete
deprecation' (whatever that may mean).

>> For me, deprecating modules and adding new ones is more of a social move
>> - it shows that the Python community cares, and it moves Python closer
>> to the bleeding edge. I think it can be done without alienating legacy
>> users.
>>

> I think points to one of the differences we are seeing in this
> discussion:
>
> One group of people wants bleeding edge, the other is more
> interested in a stable code base.

I don't expect the standard library to get close to 'the-bleeding-edge'.

There seem to be three positions:

1) Virtually no changes or improvements to the standard library at all -
nothing beyond maintaining compatibility with language changes. (Laura)
2) New modules are acceptable but old modules should remain forever.
(Antoine)
3) New modules are acceptable and eventual removal of old modules is
desirable. (Brett, myself, Jesse and Frank)

Marc-Andre seems to fall somewhere between 1 and 2 and Orestis wants the
bleeding edge. (Sorry for these caricatures but it seems approximately
right.)

I'd still like to write a longer piece on why I think 1) isn't possible
and 3) is preferable to 2)  - but the basic points have all been covered
in this thread anyway.

> IMHO, it's fair to ask the first group to put in a little more
> effort and download whatever they want from PyPI, than putting
> the burden on the second group.
>
> After all, people who use bleeding edge code, need to be aware
> of the fact that things can break, so it's better to make that
> choice explicit, than have it made implicit for everyone.

It also seems fair to say that if people want stability to the point of
no change at all then they should stick to a version of Python that
meets their requirements. Language changes and even bugfixes introduce
incompatibilities that can't and won't be avoided so there simply *is
not* a guarantee that old code will continue to work forever.

Another idea is to have a standard library 'bleeding-edge' package,
containing modules that we expect to move into the standard library in
the next version of Python. This could be an additional install (with
convenient installers for Mac OS X and Windows).

This slows down the introduction of new modules - whilst bringing them
into the standard library but 'on probation'. We still insist on the PEP
process for bringing in new modules and Steven will be writing a PEP for
argparse (which will address the specific question of deprecation of
optparse / getopt) so I don't know if a bleeding-edge package is worth
the effort.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/