[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 09:52:30 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> But before this can happen, people need to have a general consensus
> that I should bug Steven about contributing as it will require a PEP
> from him. Steven already has commit privileges to maintenance from him
> will not be a problem.

Just in case it wasn't already clear, I'm happy to write a PEP for
argparse if we come to some consensus on (1) whether or not it should
be included and (2) whether or not it should be accompanied by a
deprecation process for getopt and optparse.

FWIW, I currently sit in the camp of adding big glaring "this module
is deprecated" notes in the documentation for getopt and optparse, and
sticking PendingDeprecation warnings into them. PendingDeprecation
warnings are off by default so shouldn't cause problems for the vast
majority of current users of these modules. We can switch those
PendingDeprecation warnings to Deprecation warnings when, say, we see
more hits for argparse than for optparse on Google code search. Right
now, I see optparse at around 23,000 [1] and argparse at only around
400, so I imagine that would be at least a few years.

Steve

[1]http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=optparse++lang:python&ct=rr&cs_r=lang:python
[2]http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=argparse++lang:python&ct=rr&cs_r=lang:python
--
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?