[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Thu Sep 10 23:49:51 CEST 2009

On or about 2009 Sep 10, at 5:44 PM, Antoine Pitrou indited:
> Well, you have to rewrite your code one day. And since optparse is
> *very* widely used, tons of users will be impacted. Python is often
> used
> as a scripting language, even for small one-off scripts that nobody
> wants or even knows to maintain.

If they don't even upgrade their Python environment, they can't
possibly be affected by this.
In large corp. environments, moving from 2.4.4 to 2.5 or 2.6 is all
based on "what NEW stuff can we leverage." Once the libraries are
dead, there is no reason to change versions at all, it is just too
many installations to bother with.

> (please note we have e.g. a lot of XML parsing libraries in the
> stdlib,
> and nobody seems in a hurry to deprecate them)

If we can't even get traction on something virtually trivial like
argparse, what's the point.

-Doug