[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 11 00:08:27 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Yuvgoog Greenle <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Sorry Benny but you were convinced by an invalid argument.
>
> Maybe you know Ben personally and maybe it's different in your
> culture, but to me it sounds pretty derogatory to call someone "Benny"
> who signs as "Ben".

This is all true, and I agree with Guido that care needs to be taken;
“Benny” is a diminutive of “Ben”. Overly familiar, unless one knows the
person intimately.

writes:

> First of all I'd like to apologize to Ben, this may sound like a lame
> excuse but I guess Ben Finney somehow turned into Benny because of my
> lack of sleep. So again sorry for that, I really didn't mean it that
> way.

No harm done (in this case I assumed it was a cultural slip).

Apology accepted.

--
 \          “And if I laugh at any mortal thing, / 'Tis that I may not |
  `\               weep.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don Juan_ |