[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and hownoisy they are)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 10 17:00:27 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me rephrase- I'm not asking end users to silence them, I'm
> saying that if it annoys the end users so much, the devs should
> do it themselves.

So either way the developers must be aware of the warnings. In your
proposal, every developer must add a special hack to their code as
distribute, which they must disable when they test. In my proposal,
developers must explicitly run with some flag (e.g. -w) when they
test. The burden for the developer is about the same in the case of a
conscientious developer, while in your proposal lazy developers place
the burden on their users. I really don't see how your proposal is
better.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)