[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 10 15:37:48 CET 2009

On Nov 8, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> During the moratorium PEP discussions Guido said he wanted to quiet
> down deprecation warnings. I see there being two options on this.

I'm probably unable to catch up on this whole thread right now, but
having been recently defeated by DeprecationWarnings when attempting
to update Launchpad to Python 2.6, I'd say the one thing that would
have really helped us is an environment variable tied to -W, e.g
$PYTHONWARNINGS.  If I could have shut up DeprecationWarnings with one
wave of my magic setenv, I think things would have gone much quicker
for us.

-Barry