[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:11:15 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Le lundi 09 novembre 2009 à 13:51 -0800, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> > (have you ever launched a Gnome or KDE app from the command-line? they
>> > can spout *tons* of warnings)
>>
>> Yes, this is a perfect example of what I *don't* want to happen.
>
> But it doesn't. Most Python applications display at worse one or two
> deprecation warnings, which is perfectly bearable.
> (the exception is -3, and that's why it's good to have it opt-in rather
> than opt-out)

No. It's not. Here's an example - brand new python hacker I know is
using third party libraries in his app. He runs that app hundreds of
times a day, and gets 3-4 deprecation warnings every time he runs that
application.

At first I told him to ignore it - then he showed me the logs from the
app which were rife with them. I gave him the snippet of code to
filter them out pretty quickly.

jesse