[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Nov 9 09:17:01 CET 2009

In a message of Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:39:30 +0100, Antoine Pitrou writes:

>> Experience has shown that when people get used to seeing 'a bunch of
>> warnings that don't really matter' they either a) turn them off or
>> b) ignore them, even when they are telling them valuable things that
>> they should be paying attention to.  So constantly spitting out
>> DeprecationWarnings as soon as something becomes deprecated is a
>> most excellent way to train people to ignore DeprecationWarnings.
>
>Well at least people get a chance to see them. If some people think the
>warnings are useless (even though the messages warn about removal of a
>construct), they won't run a code checker either.

This is not true.  Once people get into the habit of 'not seeing'
things, they don't see them even when they are important.  This
is not only true of program warnings -- somebody has done a
study of how cancerous tumours are overlooked.  In one particularly
frightening study, doctors at the Mayo clinic went back and checked
the previously 'normal' chest X-rays of patients who subsequently
developed cancer.  What they found was horrifying: 90% of the
tumours were visible on the previous Xrays.

(see Lorenz, G.B.A. et. al 1999 Miss Rate of Lung Cancer on the
Chest Radiograph in Clinical Practice in _Chest_ also
Berlin, Leonard 2000 Hindsight Bias in _American Journal of
Roentgenology_)

A test in 2002 indicated that the TSA missed 1 in every 4 guns
that were attempted to be smuggled in.  In 2004 a test at Newark's
airport indicated the same thing.  At 2005 test at O'Hare's airport
had 60% of bombs and explosive materials missed, while security
officials in L.A. missed 75%.

(I don't have the papers for this, I read this as a clipping from
the Wall Street Journal, which didn't list its sources.)

So this 'it's there, but we didn't see it' is a serious problem
with wideranging implications outside of generating computer
warnings.  But we know some things about this.  The reason we
are lousy at detecting such things is in large part because they
are rare.  Most chest Xrays show no cancer.  Most bags do not
contain weapons and guns.  We're only good at detecting things
when a) we are looking for them and b) they actually occur
relatively commonly where we are looking.

As what we are looking for becomes more and more rare, then we are
more and more likely to overlook them when they do occur.  There
are lots of cognitive psychology experiments to test this, for
instance: Levin and Simons 1997 Failure to Detect Changes to
Attended Objects in Motion Pictures _Psychonomic Bulletin and Review_

The conclusion is that 'surprising' people with unexpected warnings
is less useful than one would think -- people tend to overlook them,
and thus not be surprised.  It's better when people get warnings
which they have asked to see.  Then they tend to notice them.  But
poorest of all is when people have trained themselves not to see
warnings at all.

>If Mercurial users and developers hadn't seen those warnings at all,
>perhaps Mercurial would have continued using deprecated constructs, and
>ended up broken when the N+1 Python version had been released. If even
>an established FLOSS project such as Mercurial is vulnerable to this
>kind of risk, then any in-house or one-man project will be even more
>vulnerable.

I agree, but I think that Mercurial developers ought to include a
set of people who are interested in looking at warnings precisely
to prevent such things.  Thus their use case is different from that
of the casual programmer, or the user of Mercurial who has no
intention of doing anything with any warnings that ever show up.
The first group will notice things the most if they get warnings
when they explicitly ask for it.  If the warnings show up unasked for,
they too can be expected to get into the habit of ignoring them.
('oh they are just warnings').  But I don't know the precise point
where producing such warnings becomes more harmful than helpful.
As far as I know, nobody has run any experiements to determine
this.

But I would suspect that blasting out all the DeprecationWarnings
for 3 whole releases before something goes away would err on the
'so frequent that it is ignored' side.

>Besides, do we have such a code checker that is able to find out
>deprecated constructs (not talking about 2to3 here) ?

I was thinking of something more primative, such as running your
code with all warnings on from time to time.

Laura