[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 9 07:35:35 CET 2009

Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> writes:

> So constantly spitting out DeprecationWarnings as soon as something
> becomes deprecated is a most excellent way to train people to ignore
> DeprecationWarnings.
[…]

> Teaching people to run their code through some sort of code-checker
> every so often strikes me as more likely to be [helpful].

Why is one of these helpful but the other one not so? Why can't the “run
your code through a code-checker” remain as easy as running the code
with the next version of Python?

--
 \        “The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the |
  `\       hijacking of morality by religion.” —Arthur C. Clarke, 1991 |