[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Nov 9 07:10:08 CET 2009

> There is also the argument that if people are told they have to
> explicitly turn on warnings to get them and the switch turns them all
> on then it might be the case that more people will see and deal with
> PendingDeprecationWarnings than they do now. The arguments that people
> will not switch them on is based on current practice. Guido's and
> Greg's argument is that habits will change such that it is not going
> to be an issue.

Well as I said this helps only if the package has 100% test coverage,
such that the developer is sure to exercise all code paths when he/she
runs the test suite with warnings explicitly enabled.

Besides, as Yuvgoog pointed out, this would not help the casual hobbyist
programmer (or professional non-programmer, such as a scientist) who
doesn't really have a clue that those warnings exist and are important
to check for.

Regards

Antoine.