[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Nov 7 23:30:01 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:36, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>
>> Anybody here looked at Kamaelia? http://www.kamaelia.org/
>> I haven't, but wonder if we are considering re-inventing the
>> wheel.
>>
>> Laura
>
> I have, and no - it's not what we're discussing. Kamaelia is a framework,
> really. It's also GPL.

They also have not stepped forward for inclusion. A point needs to be
made that Brian has working code and has come forward to contribute
it.

It also should be noted that the concepts are extremely simple here as
management pools for threads and processes is not hard to grasp (a
definitely knock against Twisted as their Deferred approach definitely
hurts some peoples' heads no matter how much Antoine loves them =).
And especially important, the proposed solution is in pure Python and
does not rely exclusively on multiprocessing, thus avoids alienating
other VMs beyond CPython.

> Inclusion of kamaelia, or twisted wholesale won't occur any time soon.

I would replace "any time soon" with "ever". Both projects are massive
and probably don't want to be locked into our development cycle. Both
also have their own development teams and culture. Adding a single
module or package by a single author is enough challenge as it is, but
bringing in another team would be more than challenging.

-Brett