[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 17:37:22 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> This is the area where I am most worried. Though multiprocessing is a
>> drop in replacement for threading, threading is not currently a drop
>> in replacement for multiprocessing. If multiprocessing doesn't make
>> sense for Jython and we need to tell our users that they should just
>> use threading, threading needs to do everything that multiprocessing
>> does...
>
> Well, feel free to propose a patch for threading.py.
> I'm not sure this has anything to do with the discussion about futures
> anyway.
If it can be done in pure Python I'd certainly be up for taking a a
crack at such a patch.  If it involves significant work with C and
threading it might be a little out of my scope.  If pure python is
out, I may end up implementing those parts missing in threading.py in
Java for Jython, and then circling back to see if doing it in C for
CPython makes sense.

-Frank