[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat Nov 7 12:46:46 CET 2009

On 7 Nov 2009, at 22:06, Paul Moore wrote:

> 2009/11/7 Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com>:
>> I obviously tend to agree with Brian; I know I've personally had to
>> implement things like this plenty of times, it's relatively simple
>> once you do it once or twice. This is a nice bit of syntactic sugar
>> on
>> top of the threading/multiprocessing modules.
>
> I agree. I've implemented futures a few times, and I'd be very glad
> not to have to again. I'll certainly check out the package, but I'd
> like to see the functionality in the stdlib.
>
> I'm not convinced it should go in multiprocessing, though. After all,
> it uses threading rather than multiple processes.

Actually, you can choose weather to use threads or processes. The
current implementation includes a ThreadPoolExecutor and a
ProcessPoolExecutor (which is an argument to making it a separate
package) and should be abstract enough to accommodate other strategies
in the future.

Java, for example,
Cheers,
Brian