[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Nov 7 00:10:57 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> 2009/11/6 Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com>:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'd like to propose adding a module/package to Python that makes it easy to
>> parallelize arbitrary function calls.
>
> Your package is less than a year old. It's at version 0.1. We do not
> normally accept packages into the stdlib until they are considered
> mature and best of breed in the community. And then only if we feel a
> need for its functionality in the stdlib.

In Brian's defense, Brett Cannon referred him here (wearing his PEP
editor hat -- and I stood by and watched :-). But yeah, it's probably
a little early to start proposing this as a stdlib addition. Maybe
python-ideas? I do think that having a standard API for this kind of
stuff makes some kind of sense. (And no, I don't have any experiencing
using Brian's code either. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)