[stdlib-sig] Benchmark suggestion

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:53:09 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> Instead of benchmarking the kind of things we prefer to do in C,

CPython prefers to do some things in C because it can and doing so is
faster. The other implementations can't, and I think it's a fair
comparison to show the penalty that incurs. For that matter, it's
useful to show how much of a win CPython gets from the extra
complexity of the C extension module. If that win gets too small, it'd
be nice to delete the C extension. The implication of this is that the
benchmark should be able to run either the C or pure-Python
implementation, independently for the two pythons being compared. The
Unladen Swallow benchmarks currently aren't very good at that and
should be extended.

On the other hand, we already have the pickling tests, which can show
some of the C/non-C difference.

> how about something like timing the sphinx build for the rst docs?
> This is something that represents a real and typical use of Python.

Also a good benchmark.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net>

Namasté,
Jeffrey Yasskin