[stdlib-sig] new package idea: socket

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 10 02:20:25 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Alexandre Vassalotti
<alexandre at peadrop.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>  > So this one kind of is screaming at me:
>  >
>  >  socket -> socket.__init__
>  >  SocketServer -> socket.server
>  >  ssl -> socket.ssl
>  >
>  >  I know Guido has expressed his dislike of putting much code in a
>  >  package's __init__, but since every module that would go in this
>  >  package is dependent on the socket module anyway, I see no harm.
>  >
>  >  What do people think?
>  >

>  I like it. Also, I think it make sense to put socket's code in
>  socket.__init__. Doing otherwise, would be redundant for the users.
>  Imagine:
>
>  import socket.socket
>  s = socket.socket.socket(socket.socket.AF_INET, socket.socket.SOCK_STREAM)
>
>  Ugh! (Of course, you could do use a from-import, to avoid this)

I think that is the currently running argument, which is valid.

Fred's comment about reserving package initialization instead of
contents for __init__ makes sense. Question is whether Guido will go
for this. =)

And do we care about asyncore and asynchat? I figured they should stay out.

-Brett