[stdlib-sig] Suggested tweaks to http and xmlrpc packages

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Feb 4 20:38:00 CET 2008

So the suggestion has come up in a couple separate emails (I know MAL
and Kevin at least, maybe even Bill) to do some tweaks to the proposed
http and xmlrpc packages. I want to start a separate email on that to
more easily collect people's thoughts in a single place.

So the suggestions now are:

httplib ->http.client
http.server proposal stays.

xmlrpclib -> xmlrpc.client
xmlrpc.server proposal stays.

There is also the issue of the cookie-related modules. Ignoring
singular vs. plural, we have Cookie and cookielib. Having looked at
them I don't think they can be reasonably merged into a single module
with their naming the way they are. And on the web-sig they said that
Cookie is still widely used. So http.cookie(s) might not be able to
happen without  reworking cookielib to gain the abilities Cookie has
in some reasonable fashion.

-Brett