[stdlib-sig] Making the reorg work

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Apr 18 01:40:15 CEST 2008

Now that April 15th has past, it's time to start thinking about how
best to handle the reorg. I have some ideas on how to make it all
work.

For 2.6, the modules should be renamed. The old names should be
maintained with stub modules that are kept in some directory, such as
lib-old. This separate directory is needed since some modules are only
changing their case and that will wreak havoc on case-insensitive file
systems. There should also be a Python 3.0 warning about the named
deprecation.

For 3.0, we need a fixer that deals with imports. Using the 'as'
keyword to prevent the code from needing to be changed in any way
would be best. There are probably some fixers already that deal with
import that might be available for tweaking to make it work for this
situation.

While we wait for Guido to pronounce on the PEP (probably late next
week) we can start discussing this and getting stuff lined up. I
personally don't know how much time I will have for this (dealing with
a relationship ending and having to move because of it) so any and all
help I can get for this will be appreciated.

-Brett