[stdlib-sig] Choosing a name for simplejson

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Apr 10 23:31:22 CEST 2008

On 2008-04-10 23:09, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 10/04/2008, Benjamin Peterson <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>  > So simplejson is going to be added to the stdlib (this came down from
>>  >  up high, which is why there has not been more of a discussion here).
>>  >  That means we need to choose a name. Obviously 'json' would work, but
>>  >  I am not sure if there is something better. Remember, we want simple
>>  >  so that if someone goes, "I wonder if Python has a JSON module", they
>>  >  can easily find it (which means no crazy package names).
>>
>> +1 for "json" or "jsonlib". Simple is better.
>
> +1 for json. Let's not have yet another xxxlib format name...

While that would be nice, I'm sure there a quite a few apps out there
that already ship their own little version of a JSON library using
that name. "jsonlib" already has an implementation:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/jsonlib/

BTW: What's bad about "simplejson" ?

Oh, how I wished Python would finally get to use single package
name for its std lib and put everything else under that name, e.g. "py".
Then we could just name it "py.json" and be done with these issues
once and for all.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 10 2008)