[stdlib-sig] Proposal: new "interpreter" module

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:36:56 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Christian Heimes <christian at cheimes.de>
wrote:

> Antoine Pitrou schrieb:
> > Le lundi 07 avril 2008 à 17:09 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
> >> Introducing a new long name "interpreter" doesn't really help
> >> with resolving the problems you state in the rational and neither
> >> does putting APIs from both groups into that new module :-)
> >
> > FWIW, I agree with the naming suggestion. "import cpython" makes things
> > explicit.
>
> Yeah, +1 for the name. Explicit is better than implicit.

Ok! reposting relevant portions:

Specification
=============

A new builtin module named "interpreter" (see `Naming`_) will be added.

The second list of items above will be split into the stdlib as follows:

The interpreter module
    - get/setrecursionlimit
    - get/setcheckinterval
    - _getframe and _current_frame
    - get/setdlopenflags
    - settscdumps
    - api_version
    - winver
    - dllhandle
    - float_info
    - _clear_type_cache
    - subversion
    - builtin_module_names
    - callstats
    - intern

The gc module:
    - getrefcount
    - _compact_freelists

Naming
------

The author proposes the name "interpreter" for the new module.  "pyvm"
has also been suggested [#pyvm-name]_.  The name "cpython" was also
well liked [#cpython-name]_.

> Christian

Cheers,
Benjamin Peterson