[Speed] Median +- MAD or Mean +- std dev?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 13:28:40 EDT 2017

> Don't use the "+-" notation. It is misleading even for the stddev of normal
> distribution, because with the chance 1 against 2 the sample is out of the
> specified interval. Use "Mean: 10 ms  Stddev: 1 ms" or "Median: 10 ms  MAD:
> 1 ms" instead.

I know that it's an abuse of "value +- range" notation.

Since I already changed the default formatting of a benchmark multiple
times and it seems like Serhiy doesn't like the current format, a
first action is to remove the public methods to format a benchmark :-)
https://github.com/haypo/perf/commit/881a282cdac7969e3c759ff344ad766b3ae0f065

So at least, I will not break the API if I change the format again in
the future.

Victor