[Speed] Performance comparison of regular expression engines

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:03:06 EST 2016

On 06.03.16 11:30, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> this is really difficult to read, can you tell me which column am I looking at?

The first column is the searched pattern. The second column is the
number of found matches (for control, it should be the same with all
engines and versions). The third column, under the "re" header is the
time in milliseconds. The column under the "str.find" header is the time
of searching without using regular expressions.

PyPy 2.2 usually is significantly faster than CPython 2.7, except
searching plain string with regular expression. But thanks to Flexible
String Representation searching plain string with and without regular
expression is faster on CPython 3.6.