[Speed] New benchmark suite for Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 07:20:19 EDT 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 01:55, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed, bzr cannot be installed on PyPy because it uses Cython in a
>> strange way: it declares and directly pokes inside PyListObjects from
>> a .pyx file.  But note that bzr (seems to) have systematically a pure
>> Python version of all its .pyx files. (...)
>
> bazar is only used for a "startup" benchmark. I don't think that such
> benchmark is very interesting... I would prefer to see a benchmark on
> a less dummy operation on the repository than displaying the help...

Simple commands like displaying help messages are where interpreter
startup time dominates the end user experience for applications
written in Python, though. For example, improvements to import system
performance tend to mostly show up there - for longer running
benchmarks, changes in startup time tend to get swamped by the actual
runtime speed, while the baseline "python -c 'pass'" mainly varies
based on how many modules we're implicitly importing at startup rather
than how well the import system is performing .

Cheers,
Nick.