[Speed] merging PyPy and Python benchmark suite

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:37:42 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Antoine's right on this one - just use and redistribute the upstream
>> components under their existing licenses. CPython itself is different
>> because the PSF has chosen to reserve relicensing privileges for that, which
>> requires the extra permissions granted in the contributor agreement.
>

> But I'm talking about the benchmarks themselves, not the wholesale inclusion
> of Mako, etc. (which I am not worried about since the code in the
> dependencies is not edited). Can we move the PyPy benchmarks themselves
> (e.g. bm_mako.py that PyPy has) over to the PSF benchmarks without getting
> contributor agreements.

The PyPy team need to put a clear license notice (similar to the one
in the main pypy repo) on their benchmarks repo. But yes, I believe
you're right that copying that code as it stands would technically be
a copyright violation, even if the PyPy team intend for it to be
allowed.

If you're really concerned, check with Van first, but otherwise I'd
just file a bug with the PyPy folks requesting that they clarify the
licensing by adding a LICENSE file and in the meantime assume they
intended for it to be covered by the MIT license, just like PyPy
itself.

The PSF license is necessary for CPython because of the long and
complicated history of that code base. We can use simpler licenses for
other stuff (like the benchmark suite) and just run with license in =
license out rather than preserving the right for the PSF to change the
license.

Cheers,
Nick.