[Speed] Ideas for speed.python.org

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:58:37 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Da_Blitz <pypy at pocketnix.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have been watching speed since it was announced and was expecting
> some form of rough plan for the server would be discussed but haven't
> seen one proposed to date. since no one has got the ball rolling i
> thought i would put some questions out there to get it all started

Note - you're asking setup questions which have actually already been
done by the folks as OSU/OSL at my request. So, these decisions have
already been made - we actually already have the box ready to go and
offer accounts to the people who will deploy codespeed and get the
benchmarks going.

> What sort of raid level will be used with the server, raid10? raid5?

This is already done. We have hardware level Raid 5

> How is the hard drive going to be divided up?

/dev/sda2              19G  3.4G   15G  20% /
none                  7.9G  196K  7.9G   1% /dev
none                  7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /dev/shm
none                  7.9G   48K  7.9G   1% /var/run
none                  7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /var/lock
/dev/sda1             184M   29M  147M  17% /boot

root at speed-python:~# lvs
  LV   VG   Attr   LSize  Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  swap lvm  -wi-ao 14.90g
root at speed-python:~# pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
  /dev/sda3  lvm  lvm2 a-   1.07t 1.06t
root at speed-python:~#

> Any opinions on what OS should be installed?

Linux speed-python 2.6.38-8-server #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:49:04
UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> What services need to be running

Only what we need to host the site and SSH

> What services need to be remotely accessible

SSH

> is there any other infrastructure we need to integrate to? eg ldap for logins (unlikely but worth asking)

None

> what are we doing about turbo boost? disabling in the BIOS or just leaving it in there

I'll leave that to you guys to decide. If you want it shut off, I need
to contact OSU/OSL to have it done.

> Who will need regular accesses to the box?

This is up to the team. Currently, I have root and 1 user, and Fijal
has an account.

> what is the box for besides benchmarking, will we allow users to log on and run their own compile jobs?

Benchmarking and code coverage only. This is not a general shell
account box for users. That's not how I sold it to HP who donated the
machine.

...snip

> is this just a benchmarking server, or a server people can also log
> into and use as a generic build machine? i always assumed that one
> socket would be used to benchmarking and the other socket would be
> given over to normal users who needed a machine with a bit more speed
> as it is some nice hardware and it would be a shame to see it go to
> waste. this leads into the next question of who needs access to the
> machine and what level of accesses do they need.

This server is for benchmarking CPython, PyPy and Jython and
potentially running detailed code coverage reports. Until we have that
done and in place, I can not in good conscience discuss allowing any
other users on the box for general jobs and work.

> i know someone mentioned doing some virtualisation which i assume by
> that they meant xen or virtual box. the cgroups support is one half of
> the light weight virtualisation stack for linux (the resource counting
> part) with LXC being the other half. but full virtualisation is
> something that should also be discussed.

We should not be using virtualization to generate benchmark numbers;
hypervisors are lying bastards :)

Deployment is done. We need code.