[Speed] Getting the project off the ground

Daniel Stutzbach stutzbach at google.com
Thu Jul 7 18:55:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Antonio Cuni <anto.cuni at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is using the "ondemand" governor, which is the default on my system.
>
> I tried to run it also with "performance", which in theory should give
> better
> performance and smaller stdev, but in practice it does not (I don't know
> why,
> honestly):

For what it's worth, I ran some similar experiments last year and found that
"performance" yielded much lower standard deviations for certain performance
tests, compared to "on demand".  I no longer recall which ones
unfortunately, but in a nutshell "on demand" is just as good only when it's
smart enough detect that it should be using the maximum CPU frequency.

Sometimes it doesn't, and the standard deviation goes up a few orders of
magnitude.

--
Daniel Stutzbach