[Spambayes] 500 Server error

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Apr 3 15:08:14 CEST 2012

On 04/02/2012 12:22 PM, Dale Schroeder wrote:
> The training database corrupted today, so I have started training a
> new database.
> Now, sometimes training occurs with no errors; other time I get the
> message below.
> What does it mean and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Spambayes 1.1b1 and python 2.7.2 on Debian Wheezy.
>

>       *500 Server error*
>
> *Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spambayes/Dibbler.py", line 477, in found_terminator
>      getattr(plugin, name)(**params)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spambayes/ProxyUI.py", line 287, in onReview
>      stats_as_ham, old_class=old_class)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spambayes/Stats.py", line 127, in RecordTraining
>      self.messageinfo_db.set_persistent_statistics(self.totals)
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/spambayes/message.py", line 135, in set_persistent_statistics
>      self.db[STATS_STORAGE_KEY] = stats
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shelve.py", line 133, in __setitem__
>      self.dict[key] = f.getvalue()
>
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shelve.py", line 79, in closed
>      raise ValueError('invalid operation on closed shelf')
>
> ValueError: invalid operation on closed shelf
> *
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

I've determined that this happens when I make a configuration change,
something I've been doing frequently, narrowing ham and spam cutoff
values as Spambayes gets smarter as it is being retrained.  Restarting
the Spambayes service restores functionality.

Restarting after configuration changes is something that had not been
required previously.  As I had been using the previous configuration for
years with the old database, I have no recollection of when this
behavior might have changed.  Is there a way to restore the prior behavior?

Dale