[Spambayes] Windows 7

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 11 20:38:21 CET 2009

    Ocean> You misunderstand.  If he's successfully running it with Windows
    Ocean> 7 - 32 bit, you can't say that SpamBayes definitively works with
    Ocean> Windows 7, because you don't know if it works on the 64 bit
    Ocean> version.  You have to know it works fine on both before you can
    Ocean> make a unilateral declaration like that.

I don't use Windows, however...

If he's installing a released version of SpamBayes (1.0.4 or 1.1.a4) he
should be getting a Python interpreter as part of the installer.  To the
best of my knowledge neither Mark, Tim, Tony nor anybody else who ever
released a SpamBayes-on-Windows installer ever bundled a 64-bit version of
the interpreter with it.  If a 32-bit interpreter will work on a 64-bit
machine you're home free.  If not, then it would have bombed if he was
running 64-bit Windows 7.  I conclude that either he was running on a 32-bit
version of Win7 or a 32-bit version of the Python interpreter will work on a
64-bit version of Win7.  (Can someone with more knowledge of Windows than me
-- that is, with *any* knowledge of Windows -- confirm or deny this
conclusion?)  As far as I know there is nothing specific to 32- or 64-bit
architectures in the SpamBayes source code itself.  All 32- or 64-bit
dependencies would be in the binary code of the Python executable.

Skip