[Spambayes] download or not?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Tue Mar 25 11:30:08 CET 2008

On Sat, March 22, 2008 20:37, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Barb> I USE :INCREDIMAIL" SPAM DRIVES ME CRAZY AS THE FREE VERSION
>     Barb> DOESN'T FILTER SPAM. WILL THIS WORK FOR "INCREDIMAIL" AND I'M
>     Barb> RUNNING "VISTA HOME PREMIUM" INTERNET EXPLORER 7

> An alternative might be to switch to Thunderbird
> (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) and then install the
> ThunderBayes extension (http://pieces.openpolitics.com/thunderbayes/).
> That
> is also a free email solution but should be easier to get setup.

There is another good reason to switch from Incredimail to Thunderbird.
In my personal experience, Incredimail is a "bad mail application". It
sends out email with a lot of "funny" layout, backgrounds, smileys,... A
lot of this "funny" stuff is rendered exactly the same as spam mails. From
the point of view of a simple spam filter, Incredimail sends spam.

It even gets worse when you write everything in CAPS like Barb does...
(Barb, please don't shout. I already have a bit of tinnitus)

At the current customer, I'm doing monthly reports on mail, spam and virus
stats for an internal IT newsletter. I'm also doing 2nd level email
support the last 15 months. That means finding out why and where a certain
email gets blocked. It's really playing Sherlock Holmes with mail headers,
MTA's, greylisting daemons, MX records, and such. So I really know what
I'm talking about when I say that Incredimail is incredibly spammy.

--
Amedee