[Spambayes] SpamBayes/Thunderbayes with SSL (repeat)

Craig Stephan coffent at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 8 23:01:36 CET 2008

[Trying again as apparently my previous HTML message didn't make it
through.]

I'm trying to use Thunderbayes with a SSL connection to my ISP.  Despite
lengthy communication with the Thunderbayes author, I've been unable to
get it to work.  He suggested using the SSL program Stunnel, though he
hasn't used it himself.  I have my system configured as follows:

 TBird
  Server Name: localhost  Port: 8110
  Secure connection: Never
  Use secure authorization: No

 Thunderbayes
  Remote Servers: localhost:8111
  SpamBayes Ports: 1110

 Stunnel
  [pop3s]
  accept  = localhost:8111
  connect = mail.comcast.net:995

 However, when I try to get mail, TBird says at the bottom of the screen
"Connected to localhost...", but nothing happens for about 30 sec until
the connection times out.

 Can anyone tell what changes I should make, or if there's an
alternative to Stunnel (which is not particularly user-friendly).

 Since Thunderbayes works fine if I don't use SSL, I'd be tempted not to
use it except (I think) I'd be compromising security.  Is that right?