[Spambayes] ham, left out another possibility relating to previous email

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu Jan 31 17:55:43 CET 2008

I also use SpamBayes and AVG, but with Thunderbird.  AVG's email scanner
also runs as a proxy and should sit inbetween the mail client and
SpamBayes.  If all three are running on the same machine, setup for OE
is as follows:

1.  Launch AVG's Control Center
2. Right-click email scanner and select properties
3. On the ensuing window, again select properties
4. Click on the servers tab
5. Click on POP3 and select Modify
6. In the left pane select connection
7. Click on the button that says Fixed host
8. Assuming defaults, in the box below Fixed host, enter ==> localhost:8110
9. Select OK and close all AVG windows.
10. Again assuming defaults, in Outlook Express, incoming mail server
should be either ==> localhost or 127.0.0.1.  On the Advanced tab,
change the incoming server port to 10110 (AVG's default proxy port).

If you are using ports other than the defaults, change accordingly.
Email retrieval should then go through this sequence:  OE ==> AVG proxy
==> SpamBayes proxy

I cannot predict if this will fix your error, but it does set the proper
sequence for virus scanning with SpamBayes.  Microsoft has the following
support article for your error:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191687

It's possible the error is because of SSL, as indicated in the error
message.  Also see:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2006-October/020003.html

Good luck,
Dale

Hi, I have a troubleshooting problem that I can't seem to fix myself and
don't see any categories in the faq section or troubleshooting that
relate.  My internet and email account is on a server that provides
service to 5 of us in a small office.  When I start my computer and then
start outlook express, I usually get all my mail, no problem.  Spambayes
filters it appropriately and life is good.  Then, what happens is
somewhat strange but occurs every time.  About 10 minutes later or so,
the next time my email seeks new messages, my incoming email fails and I
get the following message:  The connection to the server has failed.
Account: 'mail.naslaw.net', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port:
110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.  I
have a suspicion that its related to the fact that 2 of us in this
office are currently using spambayes and we're both operating from the
same server "mail.naslaw.net".  The reason I sense this is a problem is
because sometimes at the bottom of my screen, when receiving mail, I
notice that another co-worker's email address is popping up as a server
location as its checking for mail.  Do you know how to fix this?

Thanks

Doug