[Spambayes] installing 1.0.4 in Outlook XP

Steve Ingraham singraham at okcca.net
Mon Oct 8 21:45:08 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Pelton [mailto:jsp at PKC.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 2:12 PM
To: Steve Ingraham; spambayes at python.org
Subject: RE: [Spambayes] installing 1.0.4 in Outlook XP

0.81 is ancient. I think the first order of business is to get everyone
up to version 1.0.4 (if not the 1.1 alpha, which
despite its alpha status is quite stable). Once you've installed it as
administrator, go to the Troubleshooting Guide on
the SpamBayes Help menu and look for the section titled "SpamBayes is
not available for all users on the machine." That
should get you started.

Thanks Jesse for the information on the troubleshooting section of the
documents.  I had read the troubleshooting document but had stopped on
the section concerning "addin doesn't load".  Following the steps in the
section you refer to above did fix the install issue with the user
accounts.  I can now log into Outlook as the user and configure
Spambayes.

Given the filtering oddities, I'd consider having users retrain from
scratch. It doesn't take long and may result in better filtering. You
may also need to educate your users: the sender's address is a small
part of what SpamBayes looks at when scoring messages. If a message
appears to come from a trusted source but otherwise looks like spam,
it'll probably be treated as spam. (And this is a good thing, since it's
not hard to spoof a sender.)

As far as retraining, I have done this many times on these user's
mailboxes.  I have gone and deleted the additional folders and retrained
Spambayes on their Inbox, Junk Email and Junk Suspect folders.  The
users still report emails are going to junk.  I have not discussed the
issue of other scores in Spambayes labeling the individual emails with
any specific users yet.  However, I have been trying to look out for
that when I go to troubleshoot the issue.  Most of the complaints are
because an internal user's email (such as an email from me;
singraham at okcca.net) went to their junk suspect folder.  Even after
weeks of "recovering from spam" emails from singraham at okcca.net emails
are still going to the junk suspect folder.  I would expect after some
amount of time Spambayes would start accepting that all emails from
singraham at okcca.net would be legitimate.  Besides this, is there not a
way to tell Spambayes that ALL emails from singraham at okcca.net should be
delivered to the Inbox and not treated as spam?

I don't recall ever using version 0.81, but I don't think SpamBayes has
ever created folders on its own.

Just now when configuring a new user on a computer after setting up
Spambayes 1.0.4 on that computer I watched the Outlook folders to see if
any new folders were created from the configuration of Spambayes.  That
user had a "Junk Email" folder but not a "Junk Suspect" folder.  Once I
told Spambayes to send suspected spam to a "Junk Suspect" folder and
clicked "finished" at the end of the wizard Spambayes did create a new
"Junk Suspect" folder.  So at least in this scenario Spambayes did
create a new folder when one did not exist before.

Thanks,
Steve