[Spambayes] Your website....

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Fri Feb 23 11:09:40 CET 2007

On do, 2007-02-22 at 18:10 -0600, Chilany (ChilanyEnt.) wrote:
> ......is way, way, way too technical and complicated to interest the
> average PC World reader interested in and looking for a simple
> installation, seup, and usage of "free" software as promoted in their
> March 2007 issue. I would consider myself to have moderate to advanced
> computer knowledge, but when I saw your website; .....we just decided
> to pass on SpamBayes.

You are absolutely 100% right!!!

But... in the defense of the developers I would like to say the following:

1. Spambayes started as an experiment to test certain theories about
bayesian analysis. In the beginning it was not in the first place
intended as software for regular users, with all the quality and
usability of full-fledged commercial software. The average PC World
reader was never the intended audience from the start, and the
developers are amazed that their small hobby project has such a success.
(that's what I understand from reading the website)

2. Once upon a time there was this developer who decided it would be a
nice idea to add some stuff to Spambayes so it would work in Outlook. I
presume he was an Oulook user himself, which brings me to 3.

3. Spambayes is FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source) software, and an
important adagium in FLOSS is "scratch your own itch". You find a spam
filtering software that doesn't yet work for your mail client? Learn how
to program, modify the spam filter yourself, and contribute your changes
back to the source. You have good suggestions for the FAQ? Speak up! You
have amazing web design skill and you would design a superfantastic new
website? Don't let anyone stop you!

Perhaps I will some day suggest a new website design. When I have a lot
of free time. Which is, unfortunately, never.

Kind regards,

Amedee Van Gasse
amedee at amedee.be