[Spambayes] updating x-spambayes-classification on already trained mail?

Alex Chiang alex at chizang.net
Thu Apr 19 17:26:10 CEST 2007

Hello,

Which spambayes script actually insert the
X-Spambayes-Classification header into emails?

I have a large corpus of archived mail, some hammy and some
spammy. I thought it would be an interesting experiment to rerun
spambayes on that corpus (post-training) to see if it can pick
out the spam. In other words, using spambayes to retroactively
clean out my mail archives.

For my incoming mail, I use a procmail recipe to pipe the mail to
sb_filter.py, and then simply examine the Spambayes header, so my
initial thought is that sb_filter.py adds the header.

For my test, I reran sb_filter.py on each message (maildir
format, but not sure it matters) and discovered the following:

  a) sb_filter.py doesn't seem to change the header if it already
  exists in the message

  b) using sed to remove X-Spambayes-Classification from the
  messages, and rerunning sb_filter.py doesn't seem to reinsert
  the header with a new score

I'm calling sb_filter.py from my script thusly:

  sb_filter.py -d /path/to/hammiedb input_msg

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

/ac