[Spambayes] asking to delete a message

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Tue Oct 31 14:32:28 CET 2006

Wow.  130,000 hits.  I'm not sure I really wanted to know that.  At
least two of those hits are for people who lived 200+ years ago, though.

Despite all those hits, I don't think I get any more spam than your
average Joe, nor is there any evidence that anyone has exploited any
information out there to my detriment.  Maybe that's just because I'm a
small fish in a very big ocean, but unless you (Gioseffi) are a much,
much bigger fish, I wouldn't worry if I were you.  First, it serves no
purpose, as there's really nothing to be done about the availability of
that information.  Second, if someone wants to obtain your contact
information, there are probably ways other than a Google search to do
so.

If you're getting more contact than you want and you believe it's a
consequence of your disclosure of this information, you might want to
change your e-mail address and/or phone number.  (Of course, SpamBayes
can help with excess e-mail.)  Disclosure of your mailing address is
less likely to be a problem, as the cost of postage tends to discourage
gratuitous mailings.

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Amedee Van Gasse
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 4:10 PM
To: Gioseffi Dino; spambayes at python.org
Subject: Re: [Spambayes] asking to delete a message

Op maandag 30-10-2006 om 20:05 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Gioseffi
Dino:
> Hi there,
> thank you for your answer.
> What I am asking is to delete at least the part of the aswer where is
reported my address and my ph. and mob. numbers.
> To be honest when I sent that mail I did not know that it may be
archived, downloaded, or otherwise copied by anyone...
> I supposed to ask to a restrict number of people in charge to do it.
> Those are my bussiness details and it is very deplorable showing to
everyone...that is not fear...
> Please help me.
>
> Dino Gioseffi

Dino,

Can you accept it if the answer is "no, this cannot be done"?
Please read again what Jesse Pelton wrote. This is Pandora's Box: once
you open it, you set a lot of things free. And contrary to ancient
mythology, this box cannot be closed.

The description of the mailing list on
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/spambayes is very, very clear:

"Please note that this is a public mailing list: all messages sent to
this list are visible to the public, and are publicly archived."

By subscribing to the mailing list and sending messages, you explicitly
agreed with the "rules". I realise this might seem harsh and I
apologize, but you only have yourself to blame. You should *always* be
very, very, very, *VERY* careful with your personal information.

I know this from personal experience because when I go
"egosurfing" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egosurfing) I get 25300
results, some of which go back to 1995, when I had my first dialup
internet connection at uni. And I'm a nobody, compared to someone like
Jesse Pelton, who has 130.000 hits:
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Amedee+Van
+Gasse&word2=Jesse+Pelton

--