[Spambayes] 1.1a1 inordinately high memory usage

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 10 12:11:03 CET 2006

Is this just me, or do recent SpamBayes releases use a *lot* of memory?
I mean over quarter of a *gigabyte*? I downloaded what was then the
current alpha because I started to suffer from the dreaded
"DBRunRecoveryError". I downloaded a binary installer for 1.1a3 and that
suffered the same problem after a couple of mails got processed (I threw
away the previous training database and gritted my teeth for a retrain).
So I somehow ended up with a source install that identifies itself as
"spambayes-1.1a1".

I'm running the local service under Windows XP and as I write the
pythonservice.exe associated with Spambayes is idling at around 167 MB
(though the Application Data directory occupies less than 7 MB).

I just heard my disk thrashing and presumed this was Spambayes
processing a regular mail collection. Sure enough I saw the process go
up to 319 MB, and it's now hovering at 200 MB again.

I am assuming this is something to do with recent additions to OCR the
recent flood of stock offer spam. I like the way the spam has
disappeared, but I'm not sure I can stand this price. I only" have 1 GB
of physical memory. Up until my Spambayes re-install this was enough!

You may ask why I'm not running 1.1a3. Good question. When I install
that using the binary installer and try to set my options for mail
server and port number I see the following:

500 Server error

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "spambayes\Dibbler.pyc", line 476, in found_terminator
   File "spambayes\UserInterface.pyc", line 884, in onChangeopts
   File "spambayes\ProxyUI.pyc", line 782, in reReadOptions
   File "sb_server.pyc", line 1007, in _recreateState
   File "sb_server.pyc", line 1022, in prepare
   File "sb_server.pyc", line 822, in prepare
   File "sb_server.pyc", line 889, in createWorkers
   File "spambayes\Stats.pyc", line 60, in __init__
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
'get_statistics_start_date'

So that's a bit of a non-starter for me.

I'd appreciate Cc'd replies about this if it's not too much trouble. I
thought the list would have been full of this but I didn't see anything
in the archive.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119