[Spambayes] questions about import email for training

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 8 11:59:25 CEST 2006

> I also download Python-2.3.5.exe,

Python 2.4 has a much better email package; it would be well worth
using that.

> Win32all-163.exe

This is *extremely* out-of-date.  You don't actually need it for any
command-line work with SpamBayes (although whether it is installed
does effect the default database location), but if you use it for
something else, you should get an up-to-date version.

> I input command(python sb_mboxtrain.py -g ~/tmp/newham -s ~/tmp/
> newspam ) into the Windows comand prompt,it doesn't work. Later I
> key this command into Python2.3.5 command line,still can't work.

As Amedee said, it would really help to know what error message you
got, and you should check that ~/tmp/newham is actually a valid path
to a ham mailbox (possible if you are using Cygwin, extremely
unlikely otherwise).

> Could you please tell me how can I import email into the SpamBayes?

Train as ham: sb_filter.py -g < path\to\ham\message

Train as spam: sb_filter.py -s < path\to\spam\message

Are probably the best commands, if you are using messages like the
ones in the 2005 TREC corpus.  This will use the default values for
your database.

=Tony.Meyer