[Spambayes] Comments on 1.1a2

Peter Barker peterb at zeta.org.au
Sat Jun 3 12:43:09 CEST 2006

I see you want comments on 1.1a2 before releasing the next version. I
installed it a week or two ago, and have no major problems. I am using KMail
and sb_filter.py which works well. I had a minor problem with sb_bnfilter.py
which Toby Dickenson provided a patch for.
I seem to be getting a bit more spam than I remember from when I last used
spambayes some months ago, but this is probably because I haven't trained it
on enough emails yet. Just before I installed spambayes I was using
spamassassin as it was the default with FC5. I decided to switch back to
spambayes because too much spam was getting through. I think spambayes after
a week's training is doing as well as spamassassin after several months
training. People sending spam seem to be more effort into disguising the name
of the product they are selling, so this makes it harder for anti-spam
programs.

When I read the WHAT_IS_NEW.txt file I thought I was going to have to use
ZODB. I am using Fedora Core 5 and ZODB was not installed, and does not
appear to exist as a package. I found it was part of the Zope package. So I
installed Zope before spambayes. Perhaps this could be explained in the
README. I think that if spambayes is installed on a system without ZODB it
will continue to use the old database format. Is this correct?

Thanks for the good work.