[Spambayes] I know, another clueless newbie question....

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 21 20:34:27 CET 2006

> That is what I had but I thought I was doing something wrong as it
> keeps
> coming back with "sending of username did not succeed. Mail server
> Localhost responded: USER" after it asks for the password and I
> enter it.
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that since my mail server requires both the
> user name and domain name as the fully qualified user name in the form
> <username at domainname.com>, SpamBayes is truncating it at the @ and the
> server isn't getting the full user name and so can't validate the
> user.

SpamBayes doesn't do any truncating, it sends the USER comment
exactly as it receives it (in fact, it sends basically every command
exactly as it receives it).

If you add:

[globals]
verbose:True

to your bayescustomize.ini file (probably in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\{username}\Application Data\SpamBayes\Proxy'), then you'll
get a _pop3proxy.log file created that includes a copy of the most
recent POP conversation.

Try it again (to generate the file), and then STRIP OUT THE USERNAME
AND PASSWORD from the file, and send us a copy of the log. That
should explain what is happening.  (FWIW, there are lots of people
successfully using Thunderbird and SpamBayes together).

=Tony.Meyer