[Spambayes] New Web User

Peter Bishop bishop at aeroprise.com
Fri Dec 15 19:59:36 CET 2006

Deb,

SpamBayes will need to be trained.  30 messages is really not much training.
You should have 3 folders of interest (in Outlook): Inbox, Spam Suspects,
and Spam Certain.  If you are starting with no training (if you have folders
of old emails, then you can train SpamBayes on these folders).
SpamBayes gives each email a score that can be displayed (and you can get
this displayed - see Viewing and Using the Spam Score Field in
SpamBayes->Help->About SpamBayes), but, once it has been trained, SpamBayes
will put guaranteed spam into the Spam Certain folder and possible spam into
the Spam Suspects folder.  If you have started with only 30 trained emails,
then you need to check the Spam Certain folder to be sure that what is there
is really spam.  If not, simply click on Recover from Spam, and it will be
moved back into inbox.  Also if there is spam in your inbox, then you need
to train SpamBayes by clicking on Delete As Spam, which will move it to the
Spam Certain folder.  The Spam Suspects folder contains the emails that
SpamBayes really needs training on.  Be sure to process this folder,
performing either Delete as Spam or Recover from Spam from this folder.  The
good email will now be in the Inbox, and the spam will now be in the Spam
Certain folder, and you will have provided SpamBayes with some of its needed
training.

The sophistication of spam these days requires substantial training because
there are so many sources using so many different techniques to get through
spam filters.  SpamBayes will catch all this stuff anyway, even when a new
technique is invented, but only if you train it.  I love SpamBayes because I
never get good email in my Spam Certain folder and now, I am getting very
little good email in my Spam Suspects folder.  I am receiving email from
support at mycompany.com, which is a magnet for spam, so I get a lot of spam,
and I don't want any of the good email lost.

I had already used Outlook to filter spam, so I have SpamBayes configured as
my secondary spam filter.  My Outlook Junk E-mail folder has 2364 messages,
while my Junk Spam Certain folder has 999 messages since mid-November.  I
used Outlook spam processing by only declaring the sender to be a spammer,
but I had done that for a couple of years before getting disgusted and
adding SpamBayes.  I now get very little spam in my Inbox (about 10-20% as
much as my good email).  With the Delete As Spam button so handy, however,
it doesn't bother me.

Peter Bishop

  _____