[Spambayes] installing without being root?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Apr 21 07:47:38 CEST 2006

> I am installing SpamBayes on my shared host and I do not have
> permissions to install the libraries in /usr/lib/.  Where can I
> edit a script or change a variable so that it installs to ~/local/?

Run:

python setup.py install --help

for a complete list of what you can do.  Probably just:

python setup.py install --prefix=~/local

would be sufficient.  You could add --dry-run to check first.

You don't actually have to use setup.py at all - just put the
expanded archive wherever you want it.

Whichever method you use, make sure that Python can find the
location.  The simplest way to do this is to add the location to the
PYTHONPATH environment variable.

=Tony.Meyer