[Spambayes] sb_imapfilter connection timeout handling

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Sep 18 11:08:48 CEST 2005

> For some reason the connection to my IMAP server is regularly
> closed down due
> to a timeout. sb_imapfilter does not seem to handle this well,
> because it
> exits with the text at the bottom of this mail (debug set to -i 4).
> Shouldn't
> sb_imapfilter be able to gracefully handle this timeout by stopping
> the
> current action, closing down the connection, reopening the
> connection and
> continuing?

Yes.  If you'd like to submit a patch to do this, that would be great
<0.5 wink>.  If coding isn't your thing, then the best thing would
probably be to open a feature request for this on sourceforge:
<http://sf.net/projects/spambayes>

> Could a timeout lead to corrupted mail? I ask this because after
> running the
> filter I ended up with some mail with 'unknown' arrival date and
> some with
> 'unknown' sender.

The traceback you provided was interrupted in the middle of adding a
message to the server, so, yes, you could end up with odd looking
messages, depending on how your IMAP server handles that (IMO, it
really ought to only create the message when the transaction is
successfully complete).  1.1's IMAP filter does less of the
'rewriting', so this would hopefully be less of a problem with that.

> If I understand correctly a filtered mail is recreated with the new
> header and
> the old mail is removed. Is the deletion done after it is affirmed
> that the
> recreated copy was successfully created?

Yes.

=Tony.Meyer