[Spambayes] 1.1a1 installation oddity

Jesse Pelton jsp at PKC.com
Tue Sep 13 15:28:38 CEST 2005

<blush degree="furiously">I should have thought of this myself.</blush>
It opens Netscape Composer.

> If you look in the Internet Options (or whatever
> it's called; I'm using my Mac at the moment so can't check) control
> panel, are the helper applications set correctly?

Well, I looked at the file type associations before I sent the first
message, and found myself totally confused.  There were "Edit" and
"Print" verbs for HTML files, both of which claimed to run MS Office's
msohtmed.exe.  There was no "Open" verb, and HTML files were displayed
with the Firefox icon.  So HTML files displayed with one program's icon,
claimed to be editable or printable but not openable with another
program, and actually opened (for editing) with a third.  Furthermore,
IE and Firefox each seemed to think itself my primary browser - I have
them both set to check on startup, and neither asked if I want to make
it my primary browser.

In short, the whole thing was a mess (which some would simply spell MS,
but in this case it was probably due to my habit of upgrading Firefox
regularly by installing it in a new directory; I imagine that at some
point I deleted the version that was associated with the HTML type's
"Open" verb).  So I've just added an "Open" verb that specifies the
current version of Firefox, and now opening an HTML file in Windows
Explorer fires up Firefox.  Cool.  Better yet, the HTML items in the
SpamBayes menu also come up in Firefox, so your question was exactly on
target.

BUT - if I reinstall SpamBayes 1.1a1, welcome.html still comes up in
Notepad.

> Do you have Python installed?  If you do, could you run:
>
>    python -c "import
> webbrowser;webbrowser.open('http://spambayes.org')"
>
> And see which application opens?

No Python installed, but the remaining problem seems more likely to be
in the installer and/or my system configuration than with SpamBayes
itself.