[Spambayes] Filtering Without Action

John Ristaino ristaino at cotullaisd.net
Tue Sep 6 03:15:50 CEST 2005

That's the problem -- I cannot get the filtering to show.

Notes concerning the filtering action results in the order tried:

First Filter Action
Personal Folders (sub folders not checked): are 154 spam, 1 unsure, and
1331 good. However, Spam is 303, Junk Suspects 120, 1331 Good

Second Filter Action
Exchange Mailbox (sub folders not checked): 149 spam, 41 unsure, 3132
good messages. However, there are 295 known spam in the Spam folder, a
folder identified for filtering. 86 of the 295 are scored as 0 percent
with the remainder scoring from 1 to 14 percent.

Third Filter Action
Exchange Mailbox (sub folders checked): o spam, 1 unsure, 5596 good
messages.

Comments:
Even after identifying one or the other, i.e. not both at the same time,
folders in Exchange (Mailbox) or Personal (Personal) are identified for
good and spam, one of the logs shows part of both.
SpamBayes: Watching (for filtering) in 'Mailbox - John Ristaino/Inbox'
SpamBayes: Watching (for incremental training) in 'Personal Folders/A
Spam'
I am unable to close, i.e. delete, Personal Folders.
Another log shows:
Addin terminating: 2 COM client and 2 COM servers exist.

After clicking send/receive, SpamBayes, Filter Now (Perform all filter
actions, no restrictions) on the inbox configured for Exchange "mode,"
i.e. Outlook on my personal computer receiving mail from an Exchange
server, results in 3 spam, 5 unsure, and 5313 messages. Clicking on the
Filter Now Close button results in no movement of the identified inbox
spam to Spam. The good mail is scored with a 0 or something like
0.00000000000822345525 and the Spam is scored from 0.0+ (i.e. something
like 0.000000000000000022204 even if the words SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT appears
in the Subject even though a similar subject email has already part of
the database) to 0.13+.

After several attemps, the Advanced Statistics shows that SpamBayes has
processed 16064 messages - 15679 (98%) good, 322 (2%) spam and 63 (0%)
unsure. No messages were manually classified.

Based on the scoring as noted, i.e. 0% or 0.0+% in the Inbox, I believe
no filter movement will take place since Certain Spam score is 90 before
it will move Spam and Possible Spam is 10 before it will move messages
to Junk from the Inbox.

When I choose to redo the database thru retraining or uninstalling and
reinstalling SpamBayes, the scoring statement reads: Completed training
with 0 spam and 1315 good messages. Looking at the contents of the Spam
folder shows scoring of 0% (274) and 1% to 100% (471 messages). I do not
know how to delete the previous or first scoring so that the training or
Configuration Wizard accepts the Spam I have saved as unscored so that a
new and more accurate scoring will take place relative to a
reinstallation of SpamBayes.

The spambayes_reinstall.log (shows only registration activity even
though training occurred) was named by me because it would conflict with
the spambayes4.log attached showing activity before the reinstall.

The best results I have achieved is this last install rebuild
retraining: out of 743 scored spam, 561 are recognized by SpamBayes as
spam even though SpamBayes has scored 724 spam messages 90% to 100% with
the remainder spam scored 44% to 89%. The key is that "new" comment in
the one of the logs: even though I have checked rebuild entire database
and there are no restrictions in the filtering option, SpamBayes is
still only looking for new and not existing.

John Ristaino, Technology Director
Cotulla ISD www.cotulla.k12.tx.us
310 North Main St, Cotulla TX 78014
830-879-4321 (voice), -4335 (FAX)