[Spambayes] Intermittent SpamBayes crashes

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Nov 24 10:28:51 CET 2005

> I have been getting intermittent crashes of SpamBayes.
> I have attached the Server log that shows one such problem.

(Which shows an "invalid argument" socket error).

> Note that when I have such crashes, and then go to turn off my
> computer, I get "interesting" error messages about problems in
> Windows.  It is quite possible the problem is elsewhere in my
> system, but extensive diagnostics do not show anything.

Do other programs that use the network connection have problems?

> The only other evidence I have is that the crashes were more
> frequent last week when I had intermittent connectivity. (I was
> using wireless at a meeting, and it was broken quite often.)
[...]
> Is there any way to tell if this is a SpamBayes bug or a problem on
> my machine?

I've never seen this particular socket error before.  I'm not 100%,
but my guess is that this is a problem with the network connection
(which could be on your machine, or the device that's providing the
connection, or the line, ...) and that SpamBayes isn't handling the
error very well (it really ought to just ignore it and get on with it).

=Tony.Meyer