[Spambayes] Add in problem, and solution

David Dickson ddickson at rmcis.com
Tue May 10 16:35:06 CEST 2005

I am using Outlook 2000 on Windows XP Pro, recently re-installed on a new
disk drive. The only major difference from how I have used SpamBayes for the
past 2 years is that I have now replaced a commercial, mainstream virus scan
solution with Avast.

SpamBayes stops working at times, not sure exactly when or why. After going
through many of the steps in your troubleshooting guide, I determined it to
be some sort of addin problem. Symptoms are that many, though not all, of
the buttons did not work. At times, I can manually filter, I think. But
delete spam never seems to work. Removing the toolbar, restarting outlook,
do not work. The log file shows lots of errors similar to this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "win32com\server\policy.pyc", line 283, in _Invoke_
  File "win32com\server\policy.pyc", line 288, in _invoke_
  File "win32com\server\policy.pyc", line 581, in _invokeex_
  File "addin.pyc", line 601, in OnClick
  File "addin.pyc", line 1014, in GetSelectedMessages
  File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 455, in __getattr__
  File "win32com\client\__init__.pyc", line 446, in _ApplyTypes_
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (4096, 'Microsoft
Outlook', 'The operation failed.', None, 0, -2147221241), None)
pythoncom error: Python error invoking COM method.

Let me know if you want the whole file. BTW, the file is in a Temp folder,
which is not what the Troubleshooting guide states.

Anyway, after stopping and starting, I noted that Outlook seemed to be
shutting down very quickly, so went looking into processes. There was still
an active Outlook process shown. Terminating that, and restarting Outlook
solved the problem. This has now happened on two occasions that I know of
(others may have also occured, but a system restart would have solved it
without me being aware).

Not at all sure this is a SpamBayes bug, but it is another solution to the
problem of the Addin not loading/toolbar not working/messages not
automatically being filtered.

Great product, thanks.