[Spambayes] SPAMBAYES PROBLEMS

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 7 23:53:17 CEST 2005

> One of the SpamBayes folks told him the problem was a dead
> database.    This is the message he received:
> The most likely cause is a dead database (check the log for
> "DB_RUNRECOVERY" errors).  If that is the case, then the
> only solution is to retrain from scratch (either manually
> delete the databases, or use the Training tab, ticking the
> "Rebuild entire database" box).
> My question is where is the db_runrecovery log?  How do you
> get to the place to rebuild the entire database?

There are two possibilities:

  1.  Manually delete the two database files.  These are called
default_bayes_database.db and default_message_database.db and are in the
SpamBayes data directory.  This is in a SpamBayes folder in the Windows
user's "Application Data" directory (e.g. '\Documents and
Settings\{username}\Application Data').  There's a "Show Data Folder" button
on the "Diagnostics" tab of the SpamBayes Manager that will open an Explorer
window to the Data folder.

  2.  The "Training" tab of the SpamBayes Manager lets you perform manual
training of the database (you identify folders with known ham/spam in them).
If you tick the "Rebuild entire database", then this essentially removes the
old database first.  This method can be completed completely within Outlook,
but IIRC you have to identify at least one ham/spam folder to train on.
This is fine if you've got mail to train on, but if you don't, the easiest
thing is to point it at an empty folder.

=Tony.Meyer