[Spambayes] I've installed Norton AntiVirus 2006 and now Spambayes is struggling

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Sun Dec 25 07:09:11 CET 2005

On my machine I have to run the spambayes POP3 proxy since I won't touch
microsoft lookout! or whatever that product is called.

All my mail clients are configured to tall to a pop3 port at port 3110 and
smtp at port 3025.

Spambayes is configured to listen there and talk to my ISP on 110 and 25.

My mail clients expect pop3 at localhost:3110 and smtp at localhost:3025

Once I installed NAV2005 I expected problems, but I was able to work them
out. Outbound mail passes though the spambayes proxy first, then to NAV.
Coming in, it's the reverse, it's handled by NAV first, then classified by
spambayes.

YMMV, but it works for me.

I also maintain a second parameter file for my mail client that goes
straight to ports 110 and 25, so if I'm having problems with spambayes, I
can bypass it by using an icon that invokes a different start-up of the
mail client. Yes, Eudora is that flexible. No, I haven't used that second
parameter file, except to test it, in about a year.