[Spambayes] IMAP script problem

Hans Henderson hanshenderson at csloxinfo.com
Thu Oct 14 10:58:44 CEST 2004

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, and this seems to be happening mostly as you
describe, except that I have doubles (sometimes triples or more) of
everything.

Not sure if the attachment will get through the list, but I've included a
screenshot from Mulberry to clarify - the "marked for deletion" messages
are shown by a red strikeout line through the text, ones that SB hasn't
touched yet are still bold blue for unread, and the "read" (processed
messages) are regular text.

Note that I can "expunge" the struckout messages, but then I have to
manually sort through the processed ones. And my suspect folder contains
another copy of all these messages.

As a side note, I think the tripling+ factor is probably not SB as it isn't
consistent - I have multiple addresses going to one mailbox, so some
spammers probably have more than one of those.

Thanks again for your help. . .

--On 14 October 2004 17:13 +1300 Tony Meyer <tameyer at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>> In looking a bit more closely at my results, I see that all
>> the messages classified as spam are *copied* rather than
>> moved to the suspect folder.
>
> It is impossible to move a message with IMAP (a large flaw of the
> protocol, IMO).  What you have to do is add a copy of the message to the
> new folder, and delete the one in the original.  This is what
> sb_imapfilter does.
>
> To delete the message, sb_imapfilter marks the \Deleted flag.  It's
> possible that your mailer will still show you these messages, although it
> really ought to indicate that it's marked for deletion.  To actually
> delete the message permanently, you have to 'expunge' the folder.
> However, this removes *all* messages in that folder marked for deletion,
> not just one (again, something not possible with IMAP).  sb_imapfilter
> doesn't want to remove messages that you've manually marked as \Deleted,
> so it doesn't do the expunge by default.
>
>> How can I get SB to delete the spam messages once they've
>> been copied to suspect?
>
> If you add:
>
> """
> [imap]
> expunge:True
> """
>
> (without the quotes) to your configuration file, then sb_imapfilter will
> expunge messages as it goes, removing all the (apparent) duplicates.
> Remember that it'll also (permanently) remove any other messages with the
> \Deleted flag, though.
>
> [If, however, the \Deleted flag isn't being set, then this must be as a
> result of a bug of some sort.  In that case, run with -i4, remove your
> username/password from the output, and send a copy to the list so we can
> figure out what's going wrong.]

<eom>