[Spambayes] Merging .db files Question

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 12 03:08:32 CEST 2004

> I was wondering how I can merge/combined the training
> .db files from two separate computers without losing
> any of the past training info.  Essentially I want to
> create one large .db file from to different .db files.
> I read 3.5 and 3.6  from the frequently asked questions
> and I performed the back up of my Spambays database files
> under \application data\spambayes.  Can this be done
> with a text editor or with Microsoft Access?  I am running
> version 1.0 in Outlook XP in Windows XP Professional SP2.

You can do this, but you need to use the SpamBayes source scripts.  You need
to:

1.  Install Python: http://www.python.org/download
2.  Get a copy of the 1.0 SpamBayes source.
3.  Use the sb_dbexpimp.py script to merge the databases:
  [newbayes.db is the merged db, abayes.db and bbayes.db are the two
original db's to be merged.  This needs to be done in a command window, like
Start->Run->cmd.exe]
  (a) Run "sb_dbexpimp.py -e -d abayes.db -f abayes.export"
  (b) Run "sb_dbexpimp.py -e -d bbayes.db -f bbayes.export"
  (c) Run "sb_dbexpimp.py -i -d newbayes.db -f abayes.export"
  (d) Run "sb_dbexpimp.py -i -m -d newbayes.db -f bbayes.export"

You'll end up with three *.export files that you can delete, as well as the
new merged database.  You can obviously use whatever names you like for the
files.

(You do this with the default_bayes_datbase.db file, BTW, not the
default_message_database.db file, which cannot be merged).

=Tony Meyer

---